Lantana Consulting Group submitted comments on June 30, 2017 in response to the National Quality Forum’s (NQF) request for comments on the Measurement Framework to Assess Nationwide Progress Related to Interoperable Health Information Exchange to Support the National Quality Strategy. Lantana’s response included both content and terminology changes. Our key recommendations for the Measurement Framework include:
- Add to NQF’s definition of “interoperability” to support aggregation of information from disparate systems in a single source.
- Expand the descriptions of the types of data exchange healthcare organizations implement.
- Recognize public health surveillance as a way the government can affect cost savings at the stakeholder-level.
- Evaluate the NQF List of Measure Concepts against the CMS Feasibility Assessment Criteria.
- Combine the Measurement Framework with the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology’s Proposed Interoperability Standards Measurement Framework, then prioritize and plan for execution.